Home > Teams and Drivers >
 
Len F Lukey
( -1978)  

 

Australian Record - Flying 1km

Cat Gp CI Date Venue Driver(s) Make Model Time km/hr mph
A I 7 29/9/57 Coonabarabran L F Lukey Cooper Bristol 15.17 237.31 147.46

1959 Australian Drivers Championship (ADC) 
CAMS Gold Star Award

A name that came and conquered at Phillip Island before and after his victorious 1959 Australian Drivers Championship (ADC) / CAMS Gold Star Award was that of Melbourne based exhaust manufacturer and gifted racer, Len Lukey.

Determined and fiercely competitive, Lukey was one of only a few drivers who attempted to complete the grueling twelve race 1959 ADC schedule, at the time the longest in the championship's history. Lukey finished just two points ahead of his season long rival, Sydney based Alec Mildren and in third was Stan Jones, father of 1980 Formula One World Champion Alan Jones. Mildren raced to three wins that season, Lukey, Jones and Bill Patterson each took two victories, with single wins going to Jack Brabham, Bib Stillwell and New Zealand racer Ross Jensen. Make no mistake, there was no margin for error with competitors of this calibre during that championship.

Lukey continued to race competitively throughout the 60's in a range of open wheelers and touring cars, all fitted with his own specially engineered high performance exhaust systems manufactured from his Melbourne factory. This constant motor racing test bed ensured that all Lukey high performance exhaust products were in a class of their own and Lukey Exhaust became the brand of choice for motoring enthusiasts and Australian automotive repairers.

Len Lukey's special link to Phillip Island would continue during and well beyond his successful motor racing career. The running of the 1962 Armstrong 500 saw extensive track damage take place on the Victorian circuit and the Phillip Island Auto Racing Club (PIARC) could not afford to make the necessary repairs. The track then sat idle for two years. In 1964, Lukey bought the circuit and its surrounding property for $40,000, which was a massive amount of money back in those days. This investment provided a new lease of life to the majestic seaside circuit and the first public race meeting was held on the re-opened circuit three years later in September 1967.

Lukey passed away in 1978 still owning the circuit and it was purchased from Lukey's estate in 1984 for $800,000. In the decades to follow the popular Victorian motor racing venue grew to become an international standard Grand Prix circuit and one of the most popular motorcycle, sportscar, open wheeler and V8 Supercar circuits on this side of the world.

 

 

 
 
 

Contents

History
Teams and Drivers
Vehicles
Records
Locations
Links
Contact Us

Other HRDU Sites

Hot Rod Events
Hot Rod History
Hot Rod Hall of Fame
Hot Rod Magazines
Hot Rod Books
Hot Rod Tech
Hot Rod Tours
Kustoms
Memorabilia
Show Rods
Land Speed Racing Australia
Land Speed America
Land Speed Racing History
Land Speed Racing Historians

More HRDU Sites

All About 1934 Chev's
48-53 Chev Pickup's
History of the Corvette
Prototypes
Car Spotters Guide
Monaro Shrine
Aussie Utes
Wheelstanders
Scallops
Slopers

About

About Hot Rods Down Under
Contact Us
Copyright
Disclaimer
Terms and Conditions
Privacy
Site Map

Hot Rods Down Under
Movies
Music
TV
Calendar
Links
Home